Friday, February 23, 2018

To spend the Chinese New Year holiday, I went to Hong Kong with my mom for 7 days. This was the second time I went to HK and the second time holiday with my mom. What keeps us coming back to HK is of course their delicious food! Say it from noodle, macaroni soup, their cheap branded chocolate, and so on. One of our must-eat food when in HK is egg tart. We both love egg tart very muchhhhh and we just go crazy if we found bakery selling egg tart, whenever and wherever.

While strolling around Wan Chai area, I saw one small bakery in an alley and the name was pretty familiar with me, because I remember that many food bloggers recommend this place to try the egg tart. It's Tai Cheong Bakery! Soon I told my mom and she was eager just like me. At the front store, they already display their babies and it just got me excited. There were so many selections, original egg tart, caramel egg tart, cheese tart, and another pies like chicken pie, pork pie, etc. But we just wanted to try the egg tart. The size of the store is not really big, and beside the fresh pastry, they also sell another kind of breads, biscuits, and Hong Kong cookies.

The price for the original egg tart (7 HKD) is cheaper than another bakeries I've ever tried both in Hong Kong and Macau, so I was a little bit excited and curious about the taste. The egg tart was sold warm and fresh. One piece of the egg tart is pretty much like the same with another one sold in Hong Kong in term of the size. The surface of the egg tart was so shiny, smooth, and flawless. Moreover, it was beautifully shaped.

At the first bite, I didn't get much of the egg filling itself because of the thickness of the pie shell which kind of turned me off a bit. Actually I'm not really a fan of that kind of pie crust shell. But when I have reached to the main star, I'm reminded to the egg filling of my favorite back in Taiwan, which was silky smooth and eggy. But this Tai Cheong Bakery version is not so sweet, almost reaching bland IMO. My mom and I both agree that this one is still not the best egg tart we've ever tried. Maybe in the next chance, I should try their caramel egg tart.

Location: Tai Cheong Bakery
Address: 106 Wan Chai Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Business Hour: not sure, but typically around 7.30 am - 9.30 pm

0 comments:

Post a Comment